I know this is just my personal opinion, but I honestly think that the Hunger Games series is one of the best that I have read. It's up there right next to Harry Potter on my personal list of favorites. If you have not read this book yet, all I have to say is HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK?! Seriously. This series is that good.
For anyone who hasn't read them, and doesn't know what they even are, here is a summary for you:
The main character's name is Katniss Everdeen and she isn't known for her cute, friendly personality. She isn't mean and heartless, but she doesn't waste time on feelings or thoughts unless they help her put food on the table. In fact I think she is quite the opposite of heartless, I think she has such a big heart once you get to know her and that she feels things much more intensely. Katniss' father died in a mining explosion a couple years ago and her mother went into depression, leaving her at a young age to be the provider for her broken little family. This whole story takes place in a country called Panem, where the capitol control literally everything. There are 12 districts within Panem and Katniss lives in District 12, one of the poorest districts. Each year to remind the districts who is in charge, the capitol hosts The Hunger Games, which is basically where each district has to have two tributes, a boy and a girl between the ages of 12-18. These 24 tributes then are shipped off to an arena (the arena can be anything: jungle, mountains, forest, etc.) where to be honest, they have to fight and use their wits to kill each other until there is one tribute left. Now I know this might sound very graphic and gorey. But somehow, Suzanne Collins is able to write this with great style, and it is perfectly fine for young kids and teenagers to read. The worst part is that the districts have to treat the Hunger Games as if it were entertainment, and amusing for them to watch. They have to watch in excited anticipation as they are really watching their children fight for their lives. Did I mention that the winner receives endless money and never has to worry about food, warmth, or dying of starvation ever again?
Now what kind of story would it be if there was not a love interest? So as you can probably guess, Katniss is one of the tributes. But the boy isn't just an ordinary boy. Peeta Mellark is special to Katniss for reasons that you'll just have to read the book to find out! But I can tell you that he was not special to her because she had a crush on him previous to the games. As the story continues though, she is trapped in this sad game where she is questioning her feelings towards him, and at the same time not wanting to feel anything for him, because the best option is that he would die and she would live. Worst option, they both die. As we read, we as readers also get to see how special Peeta really is. He is seriously the perfect guy, and you can't help but let yourself fall for him with Katniss.
Anyways, now to the whole point of this post!
Lionsgate has announced that a movie of The Hunger Games will be coming out! And They have finally decided on who will be playing some of the main characters. Jennifer Lawrence will be playing Katniss, Josh Hutcherson will be playing Peeta, and Liam Hemsworth will be playing Gale (I didn't tell you about Gale but read the book to find out about him!).
Can I just say... I AM SO EXCITED! Sorry this post is a little long, but obviously I'm very passionate about this book. So go read it!
No comments:
Post a Comment