You know the times where you see, hear, or think something and then it hits you... That's my next blog post topic! Yepp that happened to me today. I heard this knew song by Selena Gomez (who I love!) and I think it is already the top played song on my ipod. This topic has kind of consumed my life right now. Not because I feel like I personally have a lot of self worth or body image issues though. It's because I just finished my 10 page research paper even though mine was only 9 pages speaking on this exact subject! I love that Selena came out with this great song! Seriously, the damage that media and our culture is doing to women and girls individually is scary. At the beginning of the school year, these two sisters came and spoke at a fireside all about the worth of each woman and girl. It was titled "More Precious Than Rubies." But from what I can see, they do not have a website or blog or anything! Maybe I'm just really bad at googling... that could definitely be it. But I did find this blog of another girl who also heard them and recorded some of the statistics. You can read up on the statistics here. It was such a good fireside. That was my second time hearing them, and I don't think it ever gets old! And I definitely think their message is one that every girl needs to hear.
But back to the song! I'm not saying that I am perfect in anyway and don't ever feel bad about myself. Sure everyone does at times right? There are many things that I wish I could change about my body. Longer legs, better skin, the perfect natural curly hair... But I think the key to surviving all of these negative thoughts is this: Being happy with your imperfections. I think everyone has heard them at one point or another. The comments about your hair or weight, the shirt you wore, or the way you cut your hair. Sometimes they don't even come from other people, but instead are coming from ourselves! Since college has started I have gained a couple pounds. And believe me I have heard it too. And to be honest, I don't think I look terrible. I feel like every time I hear a comment, in my head I'm thinking, "I don't care. I'm going to wear this shirt whether its flattering or not, because I think it's cute!" I really hope that all girls everywhere can develop a sense of self love. You don't have to think that you are perfect and that there is nothing wrong with you. But we can be happy despite the fact that maybe our shoes don't quite match, we didn't make the sports team, or that we are having a "fat day".
Some goals of mine:
No put downs!
If I want to do something- I'm going to do it! And not think once about what someone else is thinking.
Be positive!
If I feel there is a flaw that I can fix, then do it. But make sure it's in a healthy way with a healthy mindset.
I completely agree with this entire post! You are awesome Ashley. And may I share a quote with you that ties into this and I may or may not have dedicated an entire blog spot to at one point.... "Be you. Find you. Be happy with that."
ReplyDeleteWow thank you for that awesome quote! Kaitlin is so lucky to get to live with you next year! Your going to be a great example to her and that will be so fun. Thank you for commenting! It makes me feel special!
ReplyDelete